Friday, March 25, 2011

South Africa here I come


The dogwood tree outside my window is just coming into bloom.   A cardinal trills red in the branches.  A fresh breeze wafts in with that smell of spring -- all growth and green and promise. Emma Shapplin is playing on iTunes. I am sitting at my computer in Durham, North Carolina and on the desk in front of me lies a daunting disarray of  "to do" lists.  There is much to be done before I fly.


Deborah Bell, my sister the artist
In exactly two weeks I will be in Johannesburg, South Africa at my sister's exhibition.  This exhibition  of her sculptures, paintings and etchings opened last week to huge attendance,  rave reviews and impressive sales. She is my younger sister.  I am so proud.  


Our friend Liane said she was not the only one moved to tears by the power and beauty of the work. The title of Deborah's show is Presence.  I love it!  And just think,  my presence will be there two weeks today. 


The "to do" lists  glare at me but are no match for the scent of spring which calls me out to work the soil.







3 comments:

Unknown said...

Love your blog. Knocks spots off mine.

Wendy said...

I love to hear you "talking" through this blog, sounds very authentic, like you. Great topics--art and friendship and jewelry and Africa. Can't wait for more.

Unknown said...

Love it! and cannot wait for more...and to see you soon x