Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Nancy and Nostalgia

My friend, Nancy, is coming with me to South Africa.  This will be her first time there.  She’s very excited.  When I asked her what she wanted to see, she began naming places along the Garden Route --  Nature’s Valley,  Plettenberg Bay, Keurboom’s Strand  -- places I had gone on holiday with my family when I was growing up.  Turns out she remembered the names from my nostalgic descriptions years ago when she and I worked together in Boston.
 
We go back over 35 years.  Nancy was one of the first people I met when I moved to the United States in 1975.  I was newlywed, living in cramped university housing in Cambridge, Mass while my husband went to grad school.   She hired me to work at The Gillette Company.  Subsequently the two of us established our own consumer research company and have remained good friends ever since.  She visited me after I moved to Canada (where I had my children) and much later made it to Nairobi during the 12 years we lived in Kenya.  

 
She has seen some of the places I’ve gone to.  And now she will see where I come from.


 

No comments: