Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Memorial for a tree

A tree ended its life on my property yesterday.  

A magnificent, soaring Water Oak --- it looked in prime health.   It was 70 years old – three score and ten.  Home, shelter, and playground to generations of birds and squirrels.  Pileated wood peckers raised their young in an old hole high up near a fork in the tree. Nuthatches climbed, sometimes upside-down along the bark, foraging for insects. Bluebirds and hummingbirds swooped up to rest on its generous limbs.  Squirrels raced round and round the wide trunk in pursuit of a tail.   My friend masked the road and the house opposite, hid the ugly black strings of utility wires. It shaded a garden of azalea, a bank of blue hydrangeas and our spacious screen porch.  On summer afternoons I would lie private and shaded on the couch in the screen porch and watch birds fly back and forth to the feeder.

I can barely stand the sound of the electric saws today.    The whine and buzz saddens and irritates me through the closed windows, over the music I play in futile defense.  If I were outside, I would smell the raw severed flesh of the tree, feel the empty space stretching above like an ache.

I came home at midday yesterday.  It was a hot, calm day.  No wind, no rain. Perfectly still.  Lying on the lawn, its furthest leafy branches scrunched up against the screens of the porch was a third of this giant tree.  Huge limbs had torn off 20 feet above the ground and crashed down while, unaware, I was shopping for groceries.  

The garden seemed to hold its breath.  I walked around the standing trunk in the silent heat.  I looked up at the remaining branches, huge and leafy, stretching out over the lawn.  It was so lopsided now, this old giant.  I turned towards the house thinking that I would ask the tree service to prune the remaining branches to reduce the one -sided strain on the trunk. 

As I walked out of the shade of the tree I heard the crack, harsh and sharp.  And then a monstrous tearing and ripping.

 I ran. I sprinted away.  I didn’t turn til I reached the side of the house.  Behind me the sound was long and loud and fearsome.  A scream of demise. Neighbors heard it over closed windows and  air conditioning on a ninety degree day.  I barely heard my own scream. 

Almost the entire rest of the tree came tumbling down, crashing against the ground, reverberating.  I turned to see the bounce of branch on earth, the shiver of leaves beyond my reach.  

I could feel the matching crash of my heart against ribs, the shiver of a near miss. The reverberation and finality of loss.



 







Got your wires crossed?

No longer my shady porch









1 comment:

Wendy said...

Beautifully written, your pain and the tree's are palpable. You chose the right order, effect first, then case. I've experienced a similar loss in our way-less-tree-rich neighborhood in Southern California, but at the dastardly had of a neighbor who had our shared big oak tree cut down, illegally, while we away because he didn't like trees!