Monday, June 6, 2011

Nancy Says

“You know what would make this better?” Nancy asked me as we drove along the Garden Route on a crystal blue morning.
 “What?”, I asked, hesitation in my voice. 
“Nothing”, she sighed with contentment, leaning back in her seat  and looking out at the view.  Mountain ranges,  thick forests, sudden great sweeps of ocean.



 
 


 Another day she said she had good news and bad.  The good news was that she was having a most marvelous time.  The bad news was that she was already missing it, even though she wasn’t leaving yet.
 
 It’s always interesting to see a place you know through the eyes of newcomers.  On the way to drop Nancy at Cape Town airport for her flight back to Boston, she told me how she had been struck by the gentleness and friendliness of interactions between people – she had noticed this in stores and restaurants and at the airport.  



View as you wait for your flight




My sister-in-law chuckled as she pulled me aside to share a comment Nancy had made
about South Africans "always hugging and always want to go for a walk".  

She’s absolutely right, I thought.   

Not a bad way to be remembered!!

No comments: