Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Flying to Cape Town

Our flight from Johannesburg is delayed because of Hadada Ibis on the runway.  Someone is sent to chase them off.  When I lived in Kenya, small planes often had to buzz a bush airstrip to frighten off animals  before they could land safely.  It was expected.  But I am now on a big commercial jet in a busy international airport.  Rather tickled by the unexpected….the idea that birds are causing our delay.  I seem to have had a “thing” with birds the past couple of years.  But that’s a long story…

Last night there was an intimate party for Deb hosted by Mark Read, the gallery owner.  Friends and buyers were invited.  A casual yet elegant affair on the rooftop of the gallery which is decorated  in what I like to think of as African Chic. An open fire blazed in the centre, Deborah’s Sentinel Sculptures stood at the edges, there were padded couches, waiters with salmon and caviar. The lights of Johannesburg suburbs spread out below us and the night sky was above.


Me and Deborah

Chatting to William Kentridge and his wife Anne at the party

One of Deborah's Sentinel Sculptures and lights of Johannesburg
 

There were speeches in praise of Deborah. People have been so moved and impressed by her work.  I was the proud “big sister” mingling with the guests – enjoying reconnecting with folk I haven’t seen in a while and meeting new people who had connections to my earlier life in Johannesburg.  Two couples with strong environmental and conservation interests had recently returned from Kenya with tales of Lamu, Lake Turkana, Ol Donyo Wuas.  It felt like old times.

And now I am in the air again, my body hurtling to another place I know well -- Helderberg Village (a retirement community) in Somerset West where I have kept the house my parents lived in before they died.  Nancy and I will stock up on groceries at the airport before the taxi meets us -- so sensible to have a Woolworths with its excellent food department right there in the airport!  And then, once I get to the house I will need to walk a fair way through the village to the garage where I keep an old car while I am in the States, and reconnect the battery.  I have left myself notes so I won’t muddle the positive and negative …. 


My little garden is doing well. Back of Table Mountain in the distance.
 

No comments: